Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rutabaga parship hash

When I'm at the grocery store, I like to buy one or two things I have little or no experience cooking to try to expand my taste and food diversity. Well, I ran across a rutabaga in the produce section and said..."It has a fun name, why not?"

So I came home from the grocery store and put the rutabaga in the fridge and left if there for a day or two pondering WHAT I could do with this thing. I began researching recipes that use rutabaga and to be honest there weren't many. I did run across one for a rutabaga parsnip hash. I like parsnips and the recipe looked very basic, so I decided to got for it. Here it is...Cube your rutabaga into 1/2" cubes. I quartered my parsnips then sliced them into 1/4" pieces. Put that into salted boiling water. Boil for 20 minutes for until veggies are tender. Drain excess water and mash to desired consistency. Add butter, salt and pepper to flavor. I added a little parsley, too. Pretty tasty.

No comments: