Saturday, March 11, 2006

Immigrants protest...and block the streets of Chicago

Yesterday I became extrememly annoyed when I had to sit through a traffic light 7 times and I was the 5th car back. No, there wasn't an accident, there were thousands of immigrants crossing the street and disobeying the signals.

An estimated 100,000 immigrants protested a bill yesterday that would make it a felony to be an undocumented immigrant or to help one. Ironically most of the protesters are unable to vote, because they aren't citizens. I have mixed feelings about this issue. I understand that it is a long and difficult process to become a US Citizen, but there is a HUGE difference between being completely undocumented and being a citizen. This bill is just saying that you have to have legal documentation to be here, not be a citizen. So, if I understand correctly, you will be treated as a criminal if you are an illegal immigrant. Illegal means NOT legal and that makes it a crime. While I think making it a felony is a bit harsh, these people have infact commited a crime by not properly registering.

I was also very disturbed at the condition in which these protesters left the downtown area. There were several sanitation workers out cleaning up the garbage that littered the streets that these protestors left behind. Signs, food wrapers, and beverage containers were everywhere. If you want to be in this country, you need to respect it and obey it's laws...and yes, that includes the minor ones like littering and traffic signals.

Read the full story at the Chicago Sun Times.

No comments: