Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Funny how things work out

Writing my last blog entry made me start thinking about how I went to the University of Iowa. You see, in the beginning(being high school when I was deciding where to go to college) I was very against going to Iowa and was insistent on going to Duke or a small college out east... I was even eligible for scholarships to many of them. However, my mom did not want me to go that far away to school and my dad was insistent that I consider Iowa, a great education for a good price that wasn't too far from home. My mom was pushing for me to go to Truman State in Kirksville, Mo, also known as the Harvard of the midwest, or as Bug calls it "Princeton of the prairie".

Against my greater will, I applied and went to the University of Iowa. I moved in to the dorms and made friends with the girl that lived across the hall, Jodie. My roommate and I got along great(for the most part) and I had a great first year. During that year, I went to all the home football games, it was Ferentz's first year and we had a lowly 1-10 record. I also greatly enjoyed the success of the men's basketball program under the coaching of Steve Alford that year. My roommate and I would get very crazy and dress head to tow black and gold for the games.

However, looking back, it was in my junior, senior, and 2nd senior year that I really grew to love the University of Iowa. The highlight of my years was getting up early(like 5:30am) on Saturdays to jockey for the best tailgating spot and grill and drink until gametime with close friends and family. Back then, the old student section existed for $9 a game and there were no assigned seats and you stood for the whole game(getting sun burned, rained on or snowed on)...Jingling your keys and trying to avoid getting puked on by the person in the row behind you that tailgated a little too much...or maybe hadn't recovered from the night before when they were all packed in a crowded bar and the Beer Band would come in and play the fight song and everyone would burst out in unison singing along full of black and gold pride. Now, I am planning to go to one game a year for $48 a ticket in an assigned seat. Looking back, I can't imagine going to anyother school and can't wait to go back this fall.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Such fond memories. But don't forget the ice cream truck that made rounds around Burge Hall every football Saturday!

slens04 said...

Hey! You are in charge of getting the tickets on the 14th! Court and Chrissy want one too! Don't let me down.