Friday, March 23, 2007

Thoughts on the Year of Yes

On March 22, 2006, I took a vow with my former roommate that we would say "yes" to every guy that asked us on a date for the entire next year. The idea came from the book titled The Year of Yes by Maria Headley. With both of us being single at the time, it sounded like a fun adventure to partake in.

The first thing that made it very interesting was that "date" was defined EXTREMELY loosely in the book. If a guy even suggested that we "talk" or "hang out" that would be considered a "date". Outside the year of yes definitions, I do not personally consider those things to be a date, but never the less I was required to go along with it.

Another thing that made it very interesting and exhausting is that you had to be on your "A" game if a guy approached you anywhere. You weren't allowed to give off negative vibes and try to get rid of him. This meant that I was required to be highly social to the point of inviting to any guy that talked to me. This put a major damper on girls nights out, because I couldn't dismiss a guy just because I was out with the girls. (An apology to all the girlies that had to suffer though this.) This was perhaps the worst part, because sometimes you just want to grab a cocktail with a friend and talk about your day, but if someone approaches you have to give them your full attention.

Besides blog updates, I did not advertise that I was doing the Year of Yes. Some people who knew I was doing it thought that it was kind of mean and that I was stringing people along, but I disagree. I saw it as more of an opportunity to give people a chance that I would normally not(I was amazed at how many first impressions are quite inaccurate), for one reason or another. I really tried to go into it with the attitude of, what is the worst thing that could happen if I talk to this person that I may not otherwise talk to? I could learn something from them and possibly make a new friend. You can never have enough friends and learning is always great...and learn some interesting things, I did.

Would I do it again?

Most likely, NO. I greatly enjoyed doing it, but it was trying at times. I did take about a two week break from it in August, but got back on the train. I think it is a great way to meet people, but sometimes a girl needs to be able to just go out with her friends and be able to focus on them. I would encourage people to do it. It is a great way to get out of a rut, meet new people, break through stereotypes, hear interesting stories and learn about lots and lots of random things.

I think an entire year was a bit long and think that the intended lesson to be learned could be done is 3-6 months(depending on how much you leave the house and are in social situations).

So, there it is. The Year of Yes is over. I hope you enjoyed my updates throughout the year.

No comments: