Sunday, November 08, 2009

Dwight Yoakam sausage links and Iowa football

I've been reminded of this story a few times over the past few days. And I have to share it, because it is one of my favorites.

Aaron, Courntey, Nate, Tony, Nadine and I went to Iowa City for the Iowa/MN game a few years ago. Aaron, Court and I being the Iowa fans and Nate, Tony and Nadine the others...We got up at the crack of dawn to start tailgating for the 11am kick off. We made delicious breakfast foods. The MN people brought Dwight Yoakam brand sausages, which we found to be hilarious, because he is a country singer and we had no idea he even had a food line. Well, all of the sausages were not eaten and for some reason(most likely alcohol encouraged) we decided this pole, tree and fence made perfect uprights. By this time, my parents had shown up and were tailgating with us. As I kicked sausages, they all went through the uprights except for one lone sausage that decided to fly off my foot at a 45 degree angle and hit some random man. Needless to say, he was not happy to be nailed by a sausage.

Unfortunately for my dad, he was holding the cup full of sausages that I had been kicking. I simply pointed at my dad, because clearly he was the guilty one holding the sausages. Fortunately, my dad didn't get beat up. Jealous of all the fun we were having, my brother's friend TJ decided that he would also kick a sausage or two. Well, he gave it all his might, slipped on something and ended up flat on his back. Needless to say that was the end of kicking sausage links.

The other reason I was reminded of this story is because Iowa beat Minn by some insane amount of points. Now take die-hard Iowa fans sitting with die-hard MN fans, add alcohol, place them in the MN section at Kinnick and combine it with an ass beating. Aaron and I were completely obnoxious and Nate, Nadine and Tony were not happy about it one bit. I think the thing that really put it over the edge was that every time Iowas kicks off they play "Start me up" by the Rolling Stones. Well, Since Iowa kept scoring, Start me up was played a lot. And every time it was played, we would dance and sing.

Hopefully there will be a replay of these good times when we are all back in Iowa City for the Iowa/MN game in two weeks. Start me up!

No comments: